Most people tend to overlook oral health and the importance of having an Orthodontist in Newburyport when thinking about their health. At Pavlo Orthodontics, we understand that choosing an orthodontic practice to trust with the task of achieving the beautiful smile of your dreams or your child’s dreams is an important decision.
Orthodontic treatment has the potential to be a long process, so it’s good to make sure that you and your child are comfortable with the orthodontist you choose and the staff. The experience you have during your orthodontic treatment is something you will remember for a lifetime.
That’s why we are here to do everything possible to make your experience something to smile about. So, now you might be asking yourself: How do I choose the best orthodontist in Newburyport? Or maybe even What is Orthodontics?
Let’s take a look at these questions and some others you may have when it comes to choosing an Orthodontic practice.
How Do I Choose the Best Orthodontist in Newburyport?
Choosing a trusted orthodontist may seem like a difficult, confusing, and even stressful task for someone who has never had to get orthodontic treatment.
This is why it’s a great idea to ask for a recommendation from someone you trust. Talk to a friend, co-worker, or family member. The important people in your life will probably be more than happy to share their experiences with you.
You can also ask your family dentist for recommendations based on their expertise or doctors they might know personally.
What Is Orthodontics and Why Is It Important?
Orthodontics in Newburyport is a specialized branch of dentistry that focuses on the alignment of your teeth, which we can achieve using braces and retainers. No matter your age, it’s never too late to improve your dental health and improve your smile and self-esteem.
Having said this, it is important to add why orthodontic treatment is important.
According to the ADA (American Dental Association), correcting dental problems can create a more attractive smile. But more importantly, orthodontic treatment results in a healthier mouth.
Having crooked and crowded teeth makes cleaning your mouth more difficult. With time, deficiencies in your oral hygiene routine can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, and possibly tooth loss.
An improper bite can interfere with chewing and speaking, cause abnormal wear to tooth enamel, and lead to problems with your jaws.
There are many malocclusions that can affect your oral health, and because we want you to be fully informed, let’s take a detailed look at what issues can be preventing you from having the beautiful smile you deserve.
What Can Orthodontic Treatment Help With?
Typically, your teeth should fit easily inside your mouth without any crowding or spacing problems. Also, your teeth should not be rotated or twisted.
In addition, your upper jaw teeth should slightly overlap with your lower jaw teeth. This relationship makes the pointed ridges of your upper molars fit into the grooves of your opposite molars.
Changes in alignment are known as malocclusions. It is important to address and any type or severity of misalignment.
For starters, let’s begin with jaw alignment issues, including Crossbites, Overbites, which are also known as overjet and underbites. All of these dental issues are more common than you might think.
- Crossbites involve a single tooth or a group of teeth; a crossbite occurs when your upper and lower jaws are both misaligned and usually causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth. Crossbites can happen on both the front and the sides of the mouth and are responsible for the wear of the teeth, gum disease, and even bone loss.
- Overbites are also known as “overjet,” this occurs when your upper teeth overlap considerably with the lower teeth. Overbites can lead to gum issues or irritation, even wear on the lower teeth, and cause painful jaw and joint problems.
- Underbites occur when the lower teeth protrude past the front teeth and are caused by undergrowth of the upper jaw, overgrowth of the lower jaw, or both. Underbites can also result from missing upper teeth, which can prevent the normal function of front teeth. This leads to tooth wear and pain in your joints and jaw.
Tooth Misalignment is also something that your Newburyport top-rated orthodontist can fix with the help of orthodontic treatment. Like with any other Malocclusion, it is important to address and fix to achieve a perfect smile and have optimal oral health.
A healthy mouth is a happy mouth.
There are two main issues within tooth misalignment: Diastema and tooth crowding; let’s take a look at each in detail.
- Diastema or Gap Teeth. A Diastema is a space or gap between two teeth; you may also hear people refer to this condition as gap teeth. It appears most often between the two upper front teeth. However, gaps can occur between any two teeth. You may also have a diastema if there’s an overgrowth of the tissue that borders your gum line and your two upper front teeth. Diastemas usually do not cause issues if left untreated. However, in the rare case that your diastema is caused by advanced gum disease, you’ll need prompt treatment for the condition.
- Tooth Crowding. Dental crowding is a type of dental issue that occurs when teeth do not have enough room, rather than growing into their correct positions, so they grow in unnatural positions, trying to find a space to grow in competition with other teeth. This results in what is called or known as a “bad bite.” People with this form of malocclusion tend to have crooked teeth that overlap each other. Overcrowding can either be mild, moderate, or severe, depending on the patient’s jaw size and how many teeth they have.
Are Crowded Teeth Harmful?
According to the American Association of Orthodontists. Crowded teeth are more difficult to clean, which can lead to several health issues. Though it may look harmless, teeth crowding can have negative effects on your dental hygiene as well as your overall health. Crowded teeth in Newburyport can also cause you to have tooth decay, gingivitis, and chipping.
In Summary, Orthodontic treatment is important to establish a proper bite and proper teeth alignment. Better function, ability to clean the teeth, longevity, esthetics are all enhanced after orthodontic treatment.
At Pavlo Orthodontics, we are also sure that your orthodontic treatment will help increase your self-esteem, which will help you acquire more confidence and improve your social skills and interactions.
The experienced doctors and team at Pavlo Orthodontics will work with you to craft an individual treatment plan that fits your budget and lifestyle. We have many braces and orthodontics treatments we can use to help fix any malocclusions that prevent you from reaching your desired smile.
Your new Pavlo Orthodontics will help you tackle the world with confidence! We change your smile… So you change the world! Call us today at 978-519-7275 and schedule your free exam.